44 replies to this topic

#1 DarkDragon

DarkDragon

Legend

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,605 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:51 AM

There's no bands that sound like old Linkin Park or Blink 182 anymore. Its mostly pop/dance stuff. Really pathetic. Look at the charts and see what record labels the artists are on and its still the major labels controlling everything. They are the ones pushing this shit. I thought the internet was supposed to even the playing field and yet the major labels still control the charts. Hmmm.

http://www.thetop22....-songs-7-21-13/

We went from Linkin Park to Blink 182 to frigging Capital Cities Safe and Sound which isnt even rock music its more like disco. Its over. Why are electro pop bands being pushed as alt rock or indie rock I have no idea. There's a dividing line between Top 40 and "rock" music that needs to be drawn. I like Get Lucky by Daft Punk but thats the same thing. Pop being pushed as something its not. The future looks bleak.

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Nova Prime

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,286 posts
  • LocationThe Cancerverse?

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:08 AM

Shut up

#3 DarkDragon

DarkDragon

Legend

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,605 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:09 AM

You like all this stuff. Good for you. I dont. Let me speak my mind. Its a free country, asshole.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Nova Prime

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,286 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:15 AM

You're free to speak your mind, just as I am free to tell you to shut up every time you make the same inane, rambling, idiot post over and over again.

#5 DarkDragon

DarkDragon

Legend

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,605 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:19 AM

None of the albums you reviewed on your blog have songs on the alternative charts. If you love those artists/songs/albums so much then why arent you reviewing them? Its because you dont consider them rock and you agree with me but of course you wont admit it.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Nova Prime

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,286 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:20 AM

None of the albums you reviewed on your blog have songs on the alternative charts. If you love those artists/songs/albums so much then why arent you reviewing them? Its because you dont consider them rock and you agree with me but of course you wont admit it.

Shut up

#7 DarkDragon

DarkDragon

Legend

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,605 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:39 AM

Answer the question. Do you think bands like Capital Cities and Daft Punk belong on the alternative charts ? Im trying to have a discussion with you but you being a dick shows me you aint got nuthin,

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Nova Prime

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,286 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:40 AM

Shut up

#9 NinjaNick101

NinjaNick101

Ninja

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,380 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:44 AM

Some of these songs do need cowbell. Other than that, I'm not complaining too much.

2014 Top 10 AOTY rankings (as of 7/1): 1. Beartooth 2. Demon Hunter 3. Against Me! 4. For Today 5. The Black Keys 6. Chiodos 7. Linkin Park 8. Crosses 9. Me First and the Gimme Gimmes 10. Bruce Springsteen

2014 albums to listen ahead: Wovenwar, He is Legend, The Color Morale, Motionless in White, Flyleaf, Sleepwave. Weezer, Slipknot, Foo Fighters

#10 chicago_animal

chicago_animal

Booze

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,039 posts
  • LocationChi-Town

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:27 AM

The genre of Alternative rock has changed. Capital Cities, Imagine Dragons, Atlas Genius... Those are what define Alt Rock.

Linkin Park was always more Rock/Hard Rock.

In MY opinion, Alt Rock has much better music coming out then Rock / Hard Rock. I haven't head alot of new heavy bands in awhile while I keep on discovering new Alt Rock bands.

#11 DarkDragon

DarkDragon

Legend

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,605 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:32 AM

Just for the record I thought alternative in the 80's (pre Nirvana) sucked too. 90s was where it shined but now its crap again.

#12 pen

pen

Legend

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,848 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:23 AM

No one cares.

#13 nixon

nixon

Milk Steak Chef

• Artists
  • 15,081 posts
  • LocationDaddy Daycare

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:26 AM

why we're not all downvoting all of your posts throughout this thread, DD, is beyond me.

#14 DarkDragon

DarkDragon

Legend

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,605 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:32 AM

Why cant we have a discussion, Nixon? Do you really think Thrift Shop should have been played a million times on alt rock stations ?

#15 nixon

nixon

Milk Steak Chef

• Artists
  • 15,081 posts
  • LocationDaddy Daycare

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

Why cant we have a discussion, Nixon? Do you really think Thrift Shop should have been played a million times on alt rock stations ?

we don't have a true alt rock station in Nashville. Our active rock station plays Lumineers, Mumford & Sons, that "feels like I am just supposed to love youuuuuu" song, and many more songs that aren't active.

#16 Koldes

Koldes

Regular?

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

why we're not all downvoting all of your posts throughout this thread, DD, is beyond me.

You don't make fun of a mentally challenged kid for being mentally challenged. It's just dumping on a dump.

Album Rankings/AOTY Lists

2012 List ----- 2013 List

2014 List (Ongoing)

2014 Most Anticipated

Seether, Foo Fighters, Tremonti, Dirty Heads

Shinedown, SafetySuit, Bad Suns, Starset

#17 David

David

Señor Juggz

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,021 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:46 AM

The line between the alternative rock DD is talking about and active rock is so murky that I'm having trouble responding to his point. I'd actually argue that if you want to look at bands like Blink 182, Green Day, Taking Back Sunday, etc as "alternative", than LP belongs more in Active Rock. But really, my point is that alternative rock doesn't really mean anything. It's just a term to describe more youth targeted, trendy music. If you've ever listened to an "alternative rock" station, you know that they play all kinds of shit. It's a buzz term.

Also, I think Nixon's active rock station is drunk. That's definitely all alternative rock.

#18 nixon

nixon

Milk Steak Chef

• Artists
  • 15,081 posts
  • LocationDaddy Daycare

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:49 AM

Also, I think Nixon's active rock station is drunk. That's definitely all alternative rock.

no, its not. some of that is top 40. they just play whatever is doing well now. funny bc when Lollipop was climbing the charts for us, our hometown station wouldn't play it bc it "didn't fit their format"

there are plenty of stations that report active that are playing alternative & stuff that "isn't alternative"

#19 Lucas

Lucas

Shadow Moses

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,420 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:04 AM

Funny thing here I'll chime in with. We have our main rock station here and they have an "alternative" station w/ HD Radio and they play stuff like M&S, Lumineers, etc. and they were playing "Thrift Shop" awhile back at least the last time I listened (haven't listened in awhile to know of they still do). Thought it was funny.

5DEI3E3.jpg
"I'm scared to get close and I hate being alone.
I long for that feeling to not feel at all.
The higher I get, the lower I'll sink.
I can't drown my demons, they know how to swim."

#20 David

David

Señor Juggz

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,021 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

Alternative stations play Thrift Shop all the time.

Also, I find it pretty astonishing how rarely I hear "Get Lucky" on the Top 40 station here in Detroit. One of the few songs in that format that is universally loved by pretty much everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users