#1 lamberson

lamberson

Legend

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • LocationAntioch, CA

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

We have some other posts about the songs in got news ect but figured it should get its own thread for the entire album. I gave it a listen today but plan on giving it another listen and doing a full review for it. Probably a track by track thing or at least the stand out songs. Anyone else get it yet or plan on it?

#2 DarkDragon

DarkDragon

Legend

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:35 PM

To be honest I thought it was a letdown. I only liked maybe 5 songs on it which is pretty low. I dont know which ones off the top of my head but Ill check later. The problem to me was that theres just too much sameness going on. Thats why a band like this doesnt need to be doing double albums. I mean their older albums are so great that theres no way they could possibly be putting out stuff thats equal to it all these years later. Soilwork is a band where when you hear them for the first time you are blown away but you listen to them for 10 years straight and it becomes the same old song and dance thus you become less enthralled and less ethusisatic about them.

#3 lamberson

lamberson

Legend

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • LocationAntioch, CA

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

Yeah I didn't want to admit the whole double disk idea was a bad idea but alot of stuff sounded like an extension of another track. If you cut it down to one album (which I think i'm going to post what I would make the album be) you could have a pretty decent album. But The last two albums for me were so good it was about time they slipped a little. It's really hard for any band to put out three straight kick ass albums in a row.

#4 DarkDragon

DarkDragon

Legend

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

Yeah like I said theres a reason why bands like this dont put out double albums. If Im going to listen to 20 songs then I want some diversity and I didnt get that here. Their idea of diversity is having a song with no screaming or a song with an acoustic intro. Thats not enough for me. Should have mixed it up with some slower shit and experimented more.

#5 lamberson

lamberson

Legend

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • LocationAntioch, CA

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

Part 1:
1. Spectrum Of Eternity- This is pretty much what you should expect Soilwork to open their albums up with, a very fast in your face song from start to end. Loved how they started off with a simple string before the madness began. (8/10)

2. Memories Confined- This song is in such a bad spot, honestly it bogs down the album and it's only the second track. It doesn't follow Spectrum very well and for me is one of Soilworks worst songs in a long time. It's just boring, and you shouldn't throw in a boring track this early in an album. (4/10)

3. This Momentary Bliss- This should have been the second song on the album as it continues with the pace of the opening track and would have kept the flow going pretty well. (8/10)

4. Tongue- This one blends from the end of Momentary Bliss, if you didn't catch it you could easily think it's the same song until it goes in its own direction and Speeds cleaner vocals kick in. Pretty catchy song compared to most of their songs. I enjoyed the breakdown around 2:45 until 3:20ish, it's almost like a break within the song. (7.5/10)

5. The Living Infinite I- Love the acoustic intro to the song, this is something new for them but they do go back to this intro alot considering it had never been done until this album. After the acoustic kicks out the beat starts and I consider this to be the "Air Guitar" track for part 1 of the album. (8.5/10)

6. Let the First Wave Rise- Now the album starts to really turn blah and you think you're hearing #'s 1 & 3 all over again. However, the solo is an ok listen towards the end of the track. Outside of that nothing special here. (6.5/10)

7. Vesta- The acoustic intro is back, and so soon, too soon actually. Overall pretty solid track, nothing to complain about but at the same time nothing really stands out (outside of the quick intro) (7/10)

8. Realm of the Wasted- This is one of those songs where they have mastered the sound and you could probably put this on any of their old albums and it would fit well. Kinda like the last two FFDP albums. Put it anywhere and it fits like a glove for them. (8/10)

9. The Windswept Mercy- This song starts with some strange clean vocals. The first thing I thought was "Oh crap, this sounds exactly like his side project band) for anyone who didn't know, he has a side project band that sounds kinda like an 80s band where he sings clean vocals and involves the new guitarist. I have to admit I was worried because the new guy came from that horrible project but he holds his own. Coming back to this song, this should have been the first single. I think it has that radio feel unlike most of what they do. (9/10)

10. Whispers and Lights- The groove of this song is great and follows windswept with mostly all clean vocals. This is my favorite track on part I and a great closing song for it. This is the "ballad" if you would. (9.5/10) Maybe something Koldes would like? Enough of both worlds and not all in your face.
Part 2
1. Entering Aeons- When listening to both albums all the way through this is in a great spot for an interlude and does well. As an opening track for part II it is not. They say there is one instrumental but they lied, they didn't count this one since it's the opening track so you only have 18 full songs. (3/10)

2. Long Live The Misanthrope- The intro bleeds into this song, because of this it makes the song feel like a fucking 8 minute song which drives me crazy. No clean vocals to be found anywhere here except for a tad bit in the middle and the end. Gone as soon as it starts. There is one good thing about the song though and that would be the solo. It's a pretty long solo too (6/10)

3. Drowning With Silence- This song has some flashes of brilliance and also my favorite line of the entire album "I can laugh in the face of god cause I won't be loved in the end" If they had spent a little more time on this song I think this could have been up there with my favorite Soilwork songs. (9.5/10)

4. Antidotes in Passing- Acoustic guitar gets mixed with the electric to start this song, the feel right away is "epic" and a slow building. The acoustic isn't just at the start like the other two tracks before and stays throughout the song. If they were to push a single for each album this would be the best choice for a single for part II. (9/10)

5. Leech- Soilworks drummer to me is one of the best out there and this song is one of the reasons. Not a favorite but he is a big part of this bands sound and I don't know what they would do without Dirk. He reminds me alot of Joey from Slipknot in how fast he is on the kit. Outside of the drums nothing really here. (7/10)

6. The Living Infinite II- More acoustic intros! None of that until this album and now you have almost a fourth of the album that does. (Overkill!) Long intro and being the second self titled track it just doesn't compare to the first one. Whenever you have a part two of a song one of them is sure to get the shaft, and in this case like most movie franchises the sequel didn't live up to expectations. Also, blends in with most of the "lost tracks" that all sound the same. (6/10)

7. Loyal Shadow- Another track that bleeds in from the track before it, only they added a heart beat at the start of the track. This was supposed to be the only instrumental track but as you find out by now it's not. You then realize Part II got fucked over and only has 8 songs on it in reality. Better of the two instrumentals though. (4/10)

8. Rise Above The Sentiment- Falls right in line with the last two dominos above it but it's better. Guitar work sets it apart from them and Speed has his moments here and there throughout the song. (7.5/10)

9. Parasite Blues- This one just has a great feeling to it for me. Normally this kind of Soilwork song would fall through the cracks but stands out more than likely because the last couple songs have been more so on the scream side/not all that great? I just can't explain it but it's an ok song for where it's placed. (6.5/10)

10. Owls Predict, Oracles Stand Guard- Zzzzzzzzzz. I expect the last track of an album to be GREAT, the last track for part one was one of the best on the record(s) and this sounds like they just threw it in. This is not only closing up one album but two albums. It should have been epic but leaves a bad taste in your mouth. (5/10)

Conclusion: Part two got completely screwed over song wise and ended up falling in a sink hole. It only got 8 songs and those were not even that great. I picked out all the tracks I think could stand on their own and plan on changing up the order of them into what I think should be the actual one disk album. I'll post that here when i'm done with it and see what (Probably only DD) thinks.

Edited by lamberson, 05 March 2013 - 09:03 PM.

#6 lamberson

lamberson

Legend

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • LocationAntioch, CA

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:27 PM

This is what I came up with.

1. Spectrum of Eternity

2. This Momentary Bliss

3. Whispers and Lights

4. Vesta

5. Drowning With Silence

6. The Windswept Mercy

7. The Living Infinite I

8. Realm of the wasted

9. Leech

10. Antidotes in Passing

11. Rise Above the Sentiment

I like this album alot I must say. After trimming off all the fat. Still like the last two more though as of right now. Maybe this will grow some more on me.

#7 DarkDragon

DarkDragon

Legend

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:22 AM

You liked it more than I did. I couldnt even come up with a full album. More like a 5 song ep. Spectrum of Eternity, This Momentary Bliss, Vesta, The Living Infinite II, Rise Above the Sentiment.

#8 Jamie

Jamie

Legend

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:44 PM

I've thought about making a tunelab account for a long time and now felt like as good a time as any. This is my first post. :)

I'm actually thrilled with this record, and I think it's the best of their career. It's the most ambitious, most well-produced, and features Bjorn's best vocal performances of any record in their discography in my opinion. While I would say there are a handful of filler tracks on the album, there are no more on both discs combined as there are for me on their previous records. I do, however, find the record difficult to listen to all in one sitting. I found it much easier to digest by taking in one disc at a time, giving each a week to sink in without the other. Experiencing it that way helped me appreciate each disc as its own entity and gave me two Soilwork albums to be excited about these past two weeks.

I also disagree that disc 2 is a step down from disc 1; I far prefer disc 2 as I've heard is the case with the majority of Soilwork fans. To me it's more epic and it features my three favorite songs from the whole collection: 1. The Living Infinite II, 2. Rise Above The Sentiment, 3. Parasite Blues. "The Windswept Mercy" is my favorite song off disc 1. 

The only tracks I don't particularly love are "Let The First Wave Rise", "Realm Of The Wasted", "Entering Aeons", and "Owls Predict, Oracles Stand Guard". I think everything else is at least very good, if not exceptional.

#9 pen

pen

Legend

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,508 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:56 PM

Holy shit!

#10 Jamie

Jamie

Legend

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:29 AM

Hehe I thought I might get your attention -- or at least I'd hoped. :)

#11 pen

pen

Legend

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,508 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

Hehe I thought I might get your attention -- or at least I'd hoped. :)

Dude, get to 10 posts on the double so you can take part in the MM tournament. That is, if that's something you wish to do.

#12 DarkDragon

DarkDragon

Legend

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

I should let you know I am pen's main rival and arch nemesis on the boards. I am the thorn in his side, the fly in his oatmeal, the kryptonite to his Superman. I am like Artie Ziff except way more interesting and talented.

#13 pen

pen

Legend

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,508 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

Translation: He's a creepy stalker with no life but has no problem picking apart other people's lives in an attempt to make his presence on the board seem relevant.

#14 DarkDragon

DarkDragon

Legend

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:10 AM

I dont recall ever picking apart your life but dont expect me to anytime soon.

#15 pen

pen

Legend

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,508 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:17 AM

Did I say my life? You pick apart everyone's lives.

#16 DarkDragon

DarkDragon

Legend

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

“You… you just couldn’t let me go could you? This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. You are truly incorruptable aren’t you. You won’t kill me because of some misplaced sense of self-rightousness. And I won’t kill you because…you’re just too much fun. I get the feeling that you and I are destined to do this forever.”

#17 Jamie

Jamie

Legend

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

Pen, when does this MM tournament start or how soon rather do I need to get to 10 posts so I can make the cut?

And DD, how do you know of the wonderful Artie Ziff? :) And how did you know I come from Pulse Music Board? Hmmm... you are good!

#18 DarkDragon

DarkDragon

Legend

• Regulars
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:51 AM

I look at that place occasionally but havent posted there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users